Friday, May 15, 2015

Interview: Cheryl S Mackey

Author of  

#YAFantasy 
Calista: Who are you writing for?
C S Mackey: I am writing for anyone and everyone who loves young adult and fantasy books.
Calista: What instructions do you give to your editor?
C S Mackey: Kill the adverbs. Please, just murder them.
Calista: The YA genre has so many sub-genres. Which is your favorite?
C S Mackey: I love all subgenres, but I really like paranormal romance, fantasy, and urban fantasy.
Calista: Can you tell us a little bit about the plot of your book?
C S Mackey: Moira is a lonely, scarred, human girl who wants nothing better than to hide from the world. Guilt and regret are her only friends. Everything changes when a fallen god wants her dead and twins from another planet rescue her. She inherits their dead mother's powerful gifts in order to stop a revolution and free the gods known as The Unknown Sun . She grows as a person, learns to trust, too be brave, to be open minded, to believe in herself.
Calista: Is your protagonist going to morph during the story?

C S Mackey: Moira grows as a person, learns to trust, to be brave, to be open minded, courageous, and to believe in herself. She will discover than being small doesn't mean she is weak.
Calista: What is the most compelling part of the story arc for your character?
C S Mackey: That courage is found in everyone, that love really does conquer evil.
Calista: Do you meet with a critique group?
C S Mackey: No, there don't appear to be any near me.
Calista: Do you use beta/test readers?
C S Mackey: I do, a select few.
Calista: Please give us a brief description of your writing process.
C S Mackey: I need to have a clear concept in my mind before I can write. If I don't have a beginning, middle, and ending, then I just can't do it. The concept doesn't have to be very detailed, just there. Often this takes weeks.
Calista: Are you a genre jumper, and if so which ones?
C S Mackey: In both reading and writing I tend to stick to a few similar genres. Fantasy, Science Fiction, Urban Fantasy, etc.





No comments:

Post a Comment